York Peppermint Patties are ensconced in an airy meringue—elevating the candy into a delicate, sophisticated dessert that’s ideal for Christmas celebrations and New Year’s Eve parties
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 24 small chocolate peppermint candies (such as York Peppermint Patties)
- Heat oven to 250°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually add the sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time, beating until incorporated. Continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes; beat in the vanilla.
- Spoon 24 level Tbsps of the meringue onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 in. apart. Place 1 peppermint candy in the center of each meringue and press it down very slightly. Top each peppermint candy with another Tbsp meringue, spreading it over the candy to completely cover and seal it in.
- Bake until the meringues are firm and dry, 60 to 70 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
By Woman’s Day Kitchen from Woman’s Day, October 17, 2011