Wow these are sooo beautiful .. I saw these over at the Chickabug blog site , we feature them in our Moodylicious Favorite Blogs. I just am in awe..so here is the quick recipe from
Christmas Ornament Cupcakes
12 2 1/2 inches cupcakes in paper bake cups (any flavor)
1 cup Creamy White Frosting or canned creamy white frosting
12 ounces purchased white rolled fondant icing
Desired colors paste food coloring
Water or light-color corn syrup
12 1 1/2inchpieceblack licorice laces
6 white gumdrops, halved
Luster dust (optional)
1. Spread tops of cupcakes with a thin layer of Creamy White Frosting. Set aside to dry.
2. Divide white rolled fondant into several portions. If desired, leave one portion of fondant white. (Keep fondant covered with plastic wrap when not using.) Use a toothpick to add a small amount of food coloring to a each of the remaining portions of fondant. Knead fondant until color is evenly distributed.*** Add more food coloring as needed to get desired shade
3. On a flat surface lightly dusted with powdered sugar, roll out one portion of the fondant to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter or a sharp knife, cut out circles to fit tops of cupcakes. Place fondant circles on tops of frosted cupcakes, gently molding them over the edges of cupcake tops and smoothing the edges of fondant. Repeat with other colors of fondant, cutting out a total of 12 circles.
4. Reroll scraps to 1/4-inch thickness or thinner. Use a fluted pastry wheel or knife to cut strips and a straw or pastry tip to cut dots or small circles out of the fondant scraps. Lightly moisten backs of strips and dots with water; attach them to fondant-covered cupcakes. To give cupcakes a three-dimensional effect, curve strips slightly.
5. For ornament hangers, bend a licorice piece in half and insert ends into the top of a gumdrop half; attach hangers to cupcakes with frosting. If desired, brush cupcakes with luster dust for shine. Makes 12 (2-1/2-inch) cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
- Tip *Test Kitchen Tip:Rolled fondant icing can be found in the cake decorating department of many hobby and crafts stores. Or, instead of the fondant icing, you can use rolled fruit leather in various colors.
- Tip **Test Kitchen Tip:To achieve the colors shown in photo, for red fondant, combine pink and red-red paste food colorings. For the green fondant, combine leaf green and brown paste food colorings. For blue fondant, combine cornflower blue and sky blue food colorings.
- Tip ***Test Kitchen Tip:If you like, wear plastic gloves to keep from discoloring your hands
Creamy White Frosting
1 cup shortening
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
4 cups powdered sugar
3 – 4 tablespoons milk
In a large mixing bowl beat shortening, vanilla, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Add 2 tablespoons of the milk. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar. Gradually add milk until frosting reaches a spreading consistency. Makes about 3 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Christmas Ornament Cupcakes)
- Servings Per Recipe 12,
- Calories 425,
- Protein (gm) 3,
- Carbohydrate (gm) 74,
- Fat, total (gm) 13,
- Cholesterol (mg) 45,
- Saturated fat (gm) 6,
- Monosaturated fat (gm) 4,
- Polyunsaturated fat (gm) 2,
- Trans fatty acid (gm) 1,
- Sugar, total (gm) 60,
- Vitamin A (IU) 243,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 1,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0,
- Folate (µg) 28,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0,
- Sodium (mg) 150,
- Potassium (mg) 52,
- Calcium (DV %) 30,
- Iron (DV %) 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet